20.7.07

Poverty is Good for the Soul



See, these last 10 days I have survived on no more than $50.00. Five dollars a day. Five dollars to cover subway/bus fare (unless I decide to walk to work and back - not a bad option if it wasn't so fucking hot and I didn't always have to be somewhere). Five dollars to cover all my dietary needs (water and fresh fruit and vegetables bought from sidewalk vendors have proven to be the best for my buck). Five dollars to cover any grooming/health/style needs (style is superfluous for the poor; i haven't washed my hair in nearly 7 days because I figure if its dirty it will be more manageable and I don't have any gel right now; prescription medications must be overcome). Thing is, I've survived. Really, I've thrived. Since I can't afford alcohol, cigarettes, whores, etc. I really feel better, certainly leaner, than I have in quite a while. Thing is, I will soon be getting some cash. And I'm afraid that the lifestyle changes necessitated by poverty, which are positive changes (better diet, no drugs, drinking or cigarettes, etc.), will be endangered by my newfound (relative) wealth.

No comments: